Thursday, July 29, 2010

Stop and Go

Thursday July 29th, 2010. Tomorrow will be my last Shabbat in the United States before I make Aliyah to Israel. After every lighting of the Shabbat candles in our home my mom says, without fail: "Isn't it amazing that millions of people all around the world are doing this?" I cannot quite remember when she first starting saying this, but I do remember thinking that it was odd every time. Until very recently I took for granted that people were, "doing this all around the world." In my mind it was, " of course they are, its Shabbat." That is the change I look forward to. Shabbat as a way of life, not as an afterthought to the Friday night football game.

This will be the last Shabbat I have at home for many months, and the last I have with my family before I enter the IDF. My mind whirls with thoughts of how this experience will change me, both individually and as a part of this world. I wonder if I will long to be home, if I will become more observant in my Judaism or if I will just become observant in a different way.

I once asked an older Israeli woman why it is she chooses to live five minutes from Jerusalem, but chooses never to attend Shul (Temple). She said to me, "Here in Israel, we LIVE Jewish." What I believe she was saying is: We do not need to go to Temple to talk to God or to observe and pray about the things that are important to us. Here, our sons and daughters fight for Judaism and Israel, it is a part of our lives every second of every day whether we like it or not. If its not the chayalim (soldiers) in the street it will be the closed grocery on Friday night. An hour and half session every Friday is not necessary. We spend every minute of our lives being Jewish.

For me this is most interesting because I am moving from a place where even the word Shabbat is foreign, to a land where it is a way of life. Grocery stores close, restaurants shut their doors. Traffic slows. At the beginning of Shabbat in Israel people stop to enjoy family and rest. They cherish a full meal and relaxed night with their guests and family, welcoming everyone into their home for the 24 hours hiatus from everyday life. It is a life, and lifestyle much different from any other in the world. One that really provides time to reflect and think about the things in life that are most important to you. For me this is Shabbat. I do not mean that services or Shabbat prayer is unnecessary, what I mean is that in my life time for reflection and thoughts is of the upmost importance. So that I may live my life more fully, take the time to examine my actions, to make sure that they represent and accurately describe who I am and who I aspire to be.

I have two and a half days left at home with my family, then I start a new part of my life. Two and a half days to pack not only my clothes and important papers, but to think, worry, and get excited for my adventures to come.

I hope this message finds you happy and healthy.

Much love,

אנדרו


4 comments:

  1. Strong blog, I'll definitely keep reading. Safe travels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great to hear buddy. thanks for the support. Hope we can talk soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think and pray for you everyday. You have a special place in my heart =)

    Love you lots,
    ~Lori

    ReplyDelete