Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Shana Tova

Shana Tova L’Kulam. I realize it’s a bit belated but I figured I would give it a shot nonetheless. My Chag (holiday) was spent, in part, eating my weight in fruit; going to Shul (synagogue); and reconnecting with old friends. I stayed with the ever kind and welcoming Belik family in Raanana, (the city I lived in when I made Aliyah with my parents) which is in the center of Israel about twenty minutes from Tel Aviv. The Belik’s and all my other friends in Raanana made my new year as sweet as it could possibly be, filled me with food, love, and spirit. They treated me as family and for that I want to say from the bottom of my heart, thank you.

There is an atmosphere of community in Israel. Here people say whatever is on their mind to whomever they want, because there is a connection that all Israelis have, as if we are all part of a big family: and just as in a family, there is criticism and there are congratulations. Luckily for me the weekend consisted mostly of congratulations and compliments, the criticism was spared for the coming meeting. Israel is a country of direct communication. You always know where you stand with Israeli’s, if you have done something they don’t like they will tell you, very frankly in fact, that they didn’t like it. One of the best examples of this phenomena is on the main train that runs throughout Israel North to South. People loudly talk on their cell phones about whatever topics interest them, irrespective of anyone else’s wishes not to hear their conversation and irrespective of their own embarrassment over personal details. I have heard Thursday night sex gone wrong, why you have to clean up the cat poop…literally there is really nothing that would be strange to hear. This is the chaos of normal life in Israel, but as the sane goes, “there is never a dull moment.”

September is an amazing month in Israel. The heat of the summer is finally starting to pewter out, holidays run throughout the month separating most of the month into long weekends and breaks from work. The community and people of Israel come together for these few weeks to celebrate together the holidays of their ancestors. For these few weeks there a slight let up in the chaos of normal life to enjoy the holidays. But even that is a bit of an exaggeration, Israeli’s even argue about the holidays.

The people that opened their homes and hearts to me this weekend in Raanana really displayed to me one of my favorite things about this country, and as a matter of fact one of the reasons that I want to serve this nation. They treated me with unbelievable kindness and gave me the warmest welcome back home I could ever have asked for. Every meal was cooked for me, I had a place to sleep, with more people offering their homes to me every day. I especially want to thank the Belik, Ratner, and Cizin families for the unimaginable effort they made to make my holiday and return home as comfortable and love filled as possible.

Also to all my friends from Tali, it meant more to me than you can ever imagine that you welcomed me back into your amazing circle of friends. It really made my new year special and made me ever so happy to be back in this country with you. To Ariel and Daniel: know that you guys are my boys. As American as this might sound I want you guys to know that I love you and that being back with you guys after all these years felt so incredible. I never dreamed I would be blessed with that opportunity; so for your everlasting friendship and love, thank you.

I could write for pages about the incredible things that happened to me this week, but as usual I want to leave some things to the imagination and as teasers to visit, but I will tell all those who are worrying about me and are thinking of me, I am happy. Not in the way that I expected I would be…better.

I wish you all health, happiness and love in this New Year.

אנדרו

No comments:

Post a Comment