Saturday, August 21, 2010

There Is More Than One Way to Skin a Cat

In all aspects of life there is diversity-- in plants and in animals, in people and in thought. Israel is an epicenter in many ways. A spiritual center for three of the world’s largest religions, the home of all the worlds Jews as well as a center of finance and technology for the entire world—Israel comprises of many cultures, languages and types of people but one thing that brings everyone together is the army. *For the more informed on the matter, I am choosing to refrain from including the non-serving population of Israel, in a small effort to withdraw politics from the discussion. The compulsory military service that each Israeli citizen faces is a unifying aspect of the state. Along with this unification comes a culture with its own ideas and expectations.

Among the thousands of meaningful jobs present in the army, the ones that command the most respect and honor are those on the front lines and in the most elite units. This surrounding ideology has caused much internal conflict and personal struggle for me, but has also allowed me to gain some very meaningful perspective about myself and Israel as a whole. On one hand I have the desire to be challenged and exceed expectations, and on the other I have my parents well being, ideology, and the knowledge of my sometimes “larger than life” outlook and ego. Depending on how well you might know me, you know that I have a serious problem turning down challenges and even more of a problem loosing. The conversation of whether to join a combat unit comes up in most conversation and due to that fact I have had it with a whole host of people: mothers, daughters, friends and military officers. Each with different advice and a different opinion. However most of what I have accumulated from these conversations is that this is a decision I will have to make for myself, and above all make it for the right reasons (which I can tell you is easier said than done).

A very close friend of mine once told me that there is “more than one way to skin a cat.” I think this quote is more than appropriate for this entry, not only because it relates to my personal dilemma about Kravi (combat), but also because it does such a great job of describing the culture here in Israel.

There is more than one way to pray, more than one way to greet someone, and more than one way to serve in the army.

As much as it might not seem like it, Israel is a land of compromise and peculiarities. You have eighteen year old orthodox Jews bearing M16’s on the public train on the way home from the army for Shabbat. You have Israeli Jews sitting around at a Shabbat dinner, and after saying Kiddush chow down on pork sausages. Life is different here. But as I said everything is a compromise. Everyone here wants peace but there has to be a perfectly-balanced compromise for it to become a reality. The same notinos apply to my situation, what will be my perfect balance? Which direction will it sway? The answers to these questions have yet come to light, but one thing is for sure—in the land of balance and compromise I am having my first milestone in a life of well weighted decisions.

Shavua Tov L’Kulam

Much love,
Andrew

2 comments:

  1. well said achi. I hope you find the way that fits you best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you achi. As always thank you for your love and support.

    ReplyDelete